Sunday, September 7, 2014

Nowhere tonight do the trucks run alone.

On the road with the big rigs, the CB radios fell silent for a moment tonight. We lost one of our senior drivers, and the beginning strains of Alabama’s Roll On play in the back of my mind. Some 25 years after first hearing that now familiar song, the words take on new meaning, with the loss of one who brought it into my life. He was an amazing man, albeit a stubborn and set in his ways one…but there are many things in my life that would simply not exist had he not married my mom when I was 5. With him came 5 more siblings, and chaos that ruled our world for the next 10 years…2 am turtle pancakes before a run with Stacy, Sue’s wedding, Steve and Sandy having Andrew…Scott's shared stories from driving and following in his dads footsteps, Shane and rolling down the hill in our back yard in New Berlin, in the cardboard barrel. We all had to eat Total for breakfast, because Paul Harvey said it was best, and you knew if he built you something there would be a date and initials on it somewhere. These were the constants that our lives were built on…but he had an unexpected side. I can do that, was always a phrase you didn’t expect to hear, but when it came to doing a headstand (yep, in the living room, against the wall) or riding a bicycle…and we have the photo to prove that one…he always made you think and not take things at face value. You just simply never knew…I have to admit that I owe at least part of my parenting theories to him, for he never treated me like less because he was my “step-dad” nor did he ever discount my son as one of the grandkids…that was his Papa. My pride in being able to dance with him at my wedding was overwhelming, and a memory I will always cherish. Believe me, there are still times when I see someone who has a familiar logo on their hat, and I will ask them if they know Norm…99 percent will and have a story to share. So tonight, as you get ready to drift off, listen closely and you may hear that voice…low and serious…whisper to you “I am signing off for now, but I will see you again.” And the whine of the truck engine as he drives off into the night, making that one last run, where he can climb in his sleeper and rest. He was my family, my parent, my friend and I will miss him…but my life would have never been the same with out all he brought to it. God Speed Norm…and God Bless. We love you! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment