Sunday, September 7, 2014

Have You Got Soul?

I have some amazing friends, and an even more amazing family...I am often asked what drives me to be such an understanding mom. What drives me to make my children the best people that they can be, and I would like to think that the belief that they will be the future leaders of our country is a good enough reason. We, as a whole, are one of the most fortunate countries in the world, yet we teach our future leaders to think only of themselves. Kids are not shown that there are far worse things in life then not having the latest Play Station 3 or the best of everything. I used to believe that there was little hope for us, as a nation, and then I began looking at my nieces and nephews...my sons...their friends and I realized that perhaps we are not at a total loss. My 16 year old niece posted a video on her My Space that was about the Night Commute. She is looking forward to making a difference for children in another country...to save their lives...and realizes that there will be nothing in it for her except the pride in doing the right thing. There were actionable groups when I was a teen, and we were taught to believe we could make a difference by writing a letter to congress, or our president. I honestly believed that thoughts like that had gone by the wayside, until I saw that video. Perhaps we do not see the need out there for our youth to take action, because we have simply stopped looking. And perhaps we have stopped asking them what issues are important to them...Lets face it, in 2 or 3 years, these are the new voters. These are the ones who are going to have the hard questions about what is vital to our existence...perhaps asking them what is needed to make our country better is a good plan. Take a moment...talk to a teen...and more importantly...listen to one. They know what they want in our future...their future...and they have a far better handle on how to get it then we ever did. Go to You Tube and search for Night Commute I Got Soul. Watch this video and I mean REALLY watch it...see how many kids (yes, kids) acted to do what they felt they needed to...to help save other kids. If this does not bring a chill to your skin, or a tear to your eye, then you need to rethink where your heart is. I realize this is just one persons opinion...but you should give yourself a chance to take a look. You never know what you might find. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment